Advent Recitals & Sung Vespers
Each Sunday of Advent: December 2, 9, 16, 23, 2018; 4:15 & 5:00PM
- We once again look forward to our yearly Advent Recital & Vespers series
- Recitals by the Director of Music, Assistant Organist, and staff musicians at 4:15PM precede the celebration of Sung Vespers at 5:00PM. Vespers is celebrated with chant settings in the vernacular (English) as well as traditional Latin (Gregorian) chant repertoire.
- Vespers is led each week by one of the Cathedral’s Choral ensembles (see the links below!)
- One Vespers (TBD) each year welcomes the Monks of St. Bernard Abbey (Cullman, Alabama) and their Monastic Schola to pray according to their liturgical use. This Vespers also features polyphonic settings featuring the Schola in alternation with Cathedral Choir.
- Donations to the Cathedral Music Fund are always graciously accepted ahead of these event, or any other time.
- Please contact the Director of Music, Bruce Ludwick, Jr., at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205.251.1279×107 for more information.
Weekly and Holy Day Liturgies
Sundays (11:00AM, late August-late June) of the Year and all Solemnities
- Each Sunday of the liturgical year and all Solemnities in the Church calendar feature fitting music to give glory to God. Within the choral year, Cathedral Choir is present at each 11:00AM Mass.
- On Sundays, this frequently means polyphonic (or choral) settings of the Mass Ordinary and other pieces from the “treasury of sacred music”. Please check the links below for Music Lists and representative repertoire from past seasons.
In the “Sacred Music” section you can learn about the following sub-topics (also accessible through the menus):