Southeastern Sacred Music Conference 2019
Friday, August 9, through Saturday, August 10, 2019
- We are thrilled to host the 2019 Southeastern Sacred Music Conference at the Cathedral of Saint Paul in Birmingham. This grass-roots event, begun in 2015 at Our Lady of the Mountains Catholic Church in Jasper, Georgia, has been a yearly highlight of the musical life of the Catholic Church in the Southeastern United States.
- The conference is open to all: Singers, organists, clergy, and interested laity alike will benefit from the conference offerings, learning and singing Gregorian chant and polyphonic music. Participants will have the opportunity to join a chant group and motet ensemble of their choosing, from beginner to advanced. The event will culminate in Sung Mass at 5:00PM (anticipated Mass for Sunday) celebrated by Fr. Justin Ward, director of the Office of Sacred Worship for the Diocese of Birmingham.
- More information may be found at the conference website or by contacting the Cathedral Director of Music, Bruce Ludwick, Jr., at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205.251.1279×107 for more information.
Children’s Schola Camp
Monday, August 5, through Friday, August 9, 2019, mornings 8:45-11:45AM
- This year, the Cathedral will present its inaugural Schola Camp. Designed to help get the schola’s season off on the right foot, it will involve sung prayer, rehearsal, recreation….even snacks!
- The Cathedral Children’s Schola Cantorum was founded five years ago in 2014 to help fulfill the mandate that a Cathedral music program be the model for her diocese. The schola is open to all children, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, in grades 3-8 after a successful (low-stress!) placement audition. The Schola Cantorum seeks to preserve Gregorian chant and the treasury of Catholic sacred music for catechesis and evangelization, as well as to beautify the sacred liturgy and instill a love of sacred liturgy in children. This is done by teaching healthy singing, especially flexibility and vocal care, and also through a curriculum based on the musical repertoire of the sacred liturgy itself. Children learn that this sung prayer glorifies God and helps sanctify them.
- Participants should register on the Google Form found on the Children’s Schola Cantorum subpage, or request a paper form from the Music Office.
- More information may be obtained by contacting the Cathedral Director of Music, Bruce Ludwick, Jr., at email@example.com or 205.251.1279×107 for more information.
Weekly and Holy Day Liturgies
Sundays (11:00AM, late August-late June) of the Year and all Solemnities
- Each Sunday of the liturgical year and all Solemnities in the Church calendar feature fitting music to give glory to God. Within the choral year, Cathedral Choir is present at each 11:00AM Mass.
- On Sundays, this frequently means polyphonic (or choral) settings of the Mass Ordinary and other pieces from the “treasury of sacred music”. Please check the links below for Music Lists and representative repertoire from past seasons.
In the “Sacred Music” section you can learn about the following sub-topics (also accessible through the menus):