Friday, February 22, 2019 at 2:00PM in the Cathedral Church
- Local early music vocal consort, Highland Consort, will sing sacred works of Byrd, Parsons, and Paulus for Voces8, one of the world’s most renowned choral ensembles.
- Voces8 members will provide suggestions and anecdotes on the performance, and perhaps even a small demonstration. This is an incredible opportunity to hear input from world-class choral singers on the many-faceted issues of choral performance.
- We are particularly thankful to Highland Consort, frequent artists on the concert roster here at St. Paul, for the donation of this Masterclass. Please visit the link above to find out more about Alabama’s only early music choral consort.
- This masterclass is free to the public! However, Donations to the Cathedral Music Fund (please note “Music Fund”) are always graciously accepted ahead of these event, or any other time.
- You may also be interested in attending Voces8’s concert at the Cathedral Church of the Advent (6th Ave N at 20th St N) on Friday night, Feb. 22, at 7:30PM. Tickets can be purchased at the door or at this link.
- Please contact the Director of Music, Bruce Ludwick, Jr., at email@example.com or 205.251.1279×107 for more information.
Southeastern Sacred Music Conference 2019
Friday, August 9, through Saturday, August 10, 2019
- We are thrilled to host the 2019 Southeastern Sacred Music Conference at the Cathedral of Saint Paul in Birmingham. This grass-roots event, begun in 2015 at Our Lady of the Mountains Catholic Church in Jasper, Georgia, has been a yearly highlight of the musical life of the Catholic Church in the Southeastern United States.
- The conference is open to all: Singers, organists, clergy, and interested laity alike will benefit from the conference offerings, learning and singing Gregorian chant and polyphonic music. Participants will have the opportunity to join a chant group and motet ensemble of their choosing, from beginner to advanced. The event will culminate with a sung liturgy Saturday afternoon.
- More information may be found at the conference website or by contacting contact the Cathedral Director of Music, Bruce Ludwick, Jr., at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205.251.1279×107 for more information.
Weekly and Holy Day Liturgies
Sundays (11:00AM, late August-late June) of the Year and all Solemnities
- Each Sunday of the liturgical year and all Solemnities in the Church calendar feature fitting music to give glory to God. Within the choral year, Cathedral Choir is present at each 11:00AM Mass.
- On Sundays, this frequently means polyphonic (or choral) settings of the Mass Ordinary and other pieces from the “treasury of sacred music”. Please check the links below for Music Lists and representative repertoire from past seasons.
In the “Sacred Music” section you can learn about the following sub-topics (also accessible through the menus):